Civil Infraction Options
You have three (3) options for a civil infraction
- Admit Responsibility by mail, in person, or by representation. Waive your right to a hearing and agree to pay the fines and costs for the civil infraction alleged on the front of the citation.
- Sign the back of the citation in the appropriate area, obtain the amount of your citation, and mail or bring it to the court, with your cash, *check, money order, and a valid credit /debit card (with MC/VISA logo)within 15 calendar days.
- Admit Responsibility with an Explanation by mail/email or Virtually via ZOOM.
- Contact the court within 15 calendar days. Explanation hearings can be requested via email/telephone, please contact the court. The hearing will be virtual or you may submit a letter of explanation via email/mail/in person. If submitting via email for a virtual hearing request please email 20th District Court and put in the subject line "Virtual Explanation Hearing Request"
- By Mail
- Sign the back of the citation in the appropriate area. Mail your signed copy of the citation and your explanation on a separate sheet of paper to the court within 15 calendar days. The court will mail you its determination and, if applicable order any fines and costs to be paid.
- Deny Responsibility To deny responsibility you must sign the back of the citation in the appropriate area and indicate your choice; informal or formal hearing and submit to the court within 15 calendar days.
- An informal hearing is before a magistrate or judge; neither side may have an attorney or
- A formal hearing is before a judge, at which time you will meet with the city attorney and officer; you may be represented by an attorney.
For more information on any of these options, please contact the Traffic Division at 313-277-7485.
*Out-of-state checks will not be accepted